Okay, I am a little ready, but I am mostly not ready. I am especially not ready to live that 7 a.m. class life again.
2. My friend Jasmine’s book came out. You may have heard of it:
She did a launch party in LA at The Ripped Bodice, so I got the chance to hang out with her and a bunch of other super cool authors and non-author people, including one of my online friends who I kept trying to meet but our schedules just couldn’t get it together. But! On that day, it worked out! So, that was fun. (It was more than fun.)
1. A lot has been going on this week. I asked some friends how they were and what was happening, and then I listed two things for myself and thought of a bunch more. But then I remembered I have a blog.
1. Last week, I went to Santa Fe, New Mexico for the first time ever. My friend had a work trip there, so she invited me to crash it, and I did.
It was very brown. And cold. But! I got some culture. I went to the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture as well as Meow Wolf and the Loretto Chapel to see the miracle stairs. The museum was great because I had an awesome tour from a delightful docent who kept talking about “fiesty lady archaeologists.” (Also, have you heard of archeaoacoustics? I hadn’t until she told us about them.) Plus, because the museum has been largely curated in cooperation with Native groups and is focused on their history and culture, it is way less rage inducing than going to the National Museum of the American Indian.
2. The non-working part of my vacation is officially over since I spent today doing some course prep/lesson planning. My goal for this semester is to bring back fun assignments so that grading isn’t as much of a chore.
The problem, of course, isn’t finding fun assignments, but fitting them all into the course schedule. My ambitions are so grand, but the semester is always too short for me to do everything I want to do.
I’m feeling a little out of it today (maybe I need some protein?) so I’m going to keep this week’s update pretty short.
1. I hope everyone had a merry Christmas yesterday (or a happy Monday). As previously mentioned, my daughter and I are at my friend’s house for the break, so it’s nice spending time with both of them (and my friend’s family). We opened presents and napped and cooked and ate and then played games.
1. So, the great thing about biking to work is that I get there and home so much faster than I did when walking (obvious statement is obvious). The downsides are that (a) I am now losing to my friend re: steps on Fitbit and (b) I can no longer listen to audiobooks during my commute. One of these is more upsetting than the other, though obviously I hate losing so am not pleased by that AT ALL. Oh well. 🤷🏾♀️
I will get to listen to my audiobook on my way to work tomorrow, though, since I have a doctor’s appointment immediately after work that I’ll need to take a Lyft to so will not be riding my bike.
Well, I was all buoyed up to write this post, and then my daughter called and we had a lovely chat for about 30 minutes, and now I’m ready for bed. But! I have challenged myself to post every day, so answer the challenge I will. I’ll keep it pretty straightforward, though.
1. I have challenged myself to write a blog post every day during November. That means I have posted some things. Here are those things from last week: